05 September 2008

2007 Taidong Si Cha Oolong

Teaware in use, 2007 Taidong Si Cha Oolong
Some of my pottery items in use...

I bought this oolong from Hou De Asian Art many moons ago. It didn't impress me the first few times I brewed it, and others felt similarly disappointed: at a tasting with a few members of the LA Tea Affair, nobody preferred it.

However, it appears that over the last year, the tea had the opportunity to breathe and change, and I really liked when I brewed it tonight. The roast/charcoal flavor has softened into a richness, and orchid floral notes similar to dancong have appeared. This oolong was a good companion during this long night of study.

5 comments:

Soïwatter said...

You just experienced one of the high reality of roasted oolong: tea must rest after strong raosting before being brewed... Sometime more than one year to let the fragrance develop.

I've never traded with Hou De, but I regularly read on other blogs that they only sell top quality. It would be amazing that one of their most expensive oolong would be of poor quality. I hope you've found a new companion with this tea...

Good luck for your studies and Peace...

~ Phyll said...

When is the GMAT test, bears? All the best!

Anonymous said...

I have had the opportunity to purchase and taste a few teas from Hou De Fine Teas. All have been excellent. However, I never thought about how the tea may change over time. It may be time for me to brew and taste again several teas purchased about 6 months ago.

toki said...

the piggy got a new pool! Beautiful set : )

toki said...

the piggy got a new pool! Beautiful set : )