05 June 2008

Da Yu Qi Dancong (Tea Habitat)

Da Yu Qi dancong - dry leaf This tea was another gifted sample from Imen of Tea Habitat. I'm not sure what the name means.

As is visible in the photo, the leaves of this dancong are long, gem green, and whole. The dry leaves have a notably muted and unplaceable aroma. Post-rinse, the wet leaves have a low, thick nose of citrus and honey, like if there were such a thing as an orange pie.

This dancong promised to yield an interesting session.

I chose to brew the Da Yu Qi dancong in a thinner 150ml gaiwan instead of a pot, and because of its larger leaves and volume of the vessel, I used nearly all of the sample Imen provided me. In the end, I think this was a successful way to highlight the strengths of this tea.

Da Yu Qi dancong - liquorThis Da Yu Qi has brawn. The aroma's low stoutness predicted the power of the flavor. Jammy, almost chewable, starchy and aromatic, the tea swallowed like molasses and tasted like dates and tangerine, without acidity. Each of the first 5 brews or so gave this flavor and feeling consistently.

Later brews thinned, went down the throat like brine and with some salty flavor and orchid nose. Eventually, it ended in ephemeral citrus notes. It carved a trail in the throat--not the usual coated feeling, but like the tea did something to my throat as it went down. This feeling lasted for nearly an hour after I stopped drinking it.

I noticed, somewhat late in the session, that I wasn't feeling particularly tea drunk or hyper, but I drank this after finishing off an intoxicating pu'er from the previous evening.

Da Yu Qi is a dancong weighted toward its flavor rather than its aroma, making it more interesting on the tongue and easier to brew than the average dancong. It might not please someone looking for the usual experience with this genre of tea, but I enjoyed it.


Da Yu Qi dancong - spent leaves

2 comments:

Salsero said...

Another lovely review with great pix. Thos dry leaves just look fantastic. Thanks!

Is that coaster something that is designed to be a coaster? Is it Chinese? I have just discovered Japanese chataku/coasters and everything under a teacup has taken on enormous interest for me. Is is porcelain? Have any idea who sells such things?

toki said...

looking at the pretty pics, what a meaty looking tea. Great harvest from older tree, me think. Yam favor will be my next goal to look for in a DC. Thanks - Toki